Skip to main content
Summit Learning Centre
Learn 75MyEd BCIT Service DeskMPSD

Enrolment Options at Summit Learning Centre

Enrolling a child into a Distributed Learning (DL) home education program, like Summit Learning Centre is different than registering a child for Homeschooling in British Columbia. Understanding the difference between Distributed Learning (also known as Home Learning and Online Learning or Virtual Learning) and Homeschooling is important prior to completing the enrolment process at Summit Learning Centre please find below an outline of the differences between Distributed Learning and Homeschooling.

For even more information about the differences between enrolling and registering, please visit the BC Ministry of Education website. And as always, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Distributed Learning - Summit Learning Centre is a Distributed Learning School

Distributed Learning programs:

  • Are directed and supervised by a British Columbia certified teacher (with involvement from parents and guardians)
  • Meet provincial standards using BC Curriculum
  • Provide the educational program, BC Curriculum and learning resources
  • Provide ongoing assessment of students, and issue report cards
  • Lead to a British Columbia Dogwood graduation diploma

Homeschooling Option

Homeschooling is an alternative method of teaching offered outside the BC Education System, typically a family delivers the entire educational program at home.
Homeschooling programs are:
  • Not supervised by a BC certified teacher
  • Not required to meet provincial standards
  • Not inspected by the BC Ministry of Education

Parents should consider that Homeschooling comes with great responsibility - choosing this option means parents must provide and supervise their childs entire educational program including curriculum and materials.

Homeschoolers are not eligible to receive a British Colombia Dogwood Certificate.


The Enrolment Process

In order to initiate enrolment at Summit Learning Centre, the following documents need to be completed, signed and returned to our office:

  • Enrolment Form
  • Letter of Commitment
  • Roles & Responsibilities Form
  • Resource Agreement for Enrolled Families
  • Photograph, video and Media consent form
  • Academic Integrity (Grades 8-12)
  • Internet Access Agreement
  • Office 365 forms
  • Proof of Age (one of the following):
    • Birth Certificate
    • Passport
    • Driver's Licence (19 and older ONLY)
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • Aboriginal Status Card (front and back)
    • Certificate of Citizenship
    • Immigration Canada Document
  • Proof of Residency in BC (one of the following):
    • Parent's Care Card (or student's if 19 and older)
    • Parent's BC Services Card (photo version only) (or student's if 19 and older)
    • Parent's Driver's Licence (or student's if 19 and older)
    • Municipal Tax Bill
    • Rental Agreement
    • Utility Bill


Please note that separate enrolment forms must be completed for each student.

Please contact us if you have any further questions!